1.10.2006

Nearby park.

So, I'm somewhat obsessed with Rufus Wainwright. Yes, he's hard as poo to understand in like 90% of his songs, but I've been listening to his sophomoric album, "Poses," which is just fabulous! I have a friend to thank for letting me borrow it, but I'm totally all about it. "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk" and "Grey Gardens" are by far the best! And, of course, "Across the Universe." Oh, and check out Carbon Leaf (Grey Sky Eyes) and Pat McGee Band (Shine album)...both good as well! That's my musical suggestions for 2006 (or at least January of 2006).

Man, it's been a while since I've posted. Gotta get better at that. Went cross-country skiing this past weekend! So much fun! Went to see Flight Plan and saw Touch the Sound last night. Both worthwhile movies! And I watched 40 year old virgin last night. The shittiest ending EVER! I hated the end. Ruined the whole movie for me. Anyway...

So, this new year and the whole JV thing have caused me to really think about what changes I want to make in my life this year (until August, at least). It's hard because we're already exposed to so many new things, and I'm juggling all of this stuff that it's hard to think about more things to change. But, I think one of the most important things about being a JV is to challenge yourself. To think, "What's countercultural? Worthwhile?" Things like giving up the drink. I could do it, but what's the point? To go without something just for the hell of it is stupid. But, to consider your relationships with "things" and people is important! At some point, I will be dry, which may be tough considering the deliciousness of microbrews! But I don't see the value in cutting myself off completely. And that goes for pretty much everything...my relationship with food, exercise, reflection, community, dialogue, silence, art, music, smoking...cough cough.

I've tried within the past few days to be more connected with friends and family. I went through a slump of not writing or getting back to people, but I'm back. I've written some people and called people. People like Ken who I haven't talked to ages...or Kate in Bethel. Phew. I feel like it's important to have times when you do nothing, but I remember being told that we always have time, it's just important to make time. And I think that's true. We always gripe about how much time we don't have for things, but when you assess how much time you fart around, you can really get an appreciation for the fact that with a little bit of scheduling, you can achieve all the things you want to.

As far as JV life...we will be a full house, once again, tonight. The two boys were gone for a week or two. I was with the girls for a week, which was nice. Less mess. Got my fingernails painted pink! Went to work. Got some comments! Haha. Fun times. But not enough testosterone. Even split of guys and girls is the way to live. No gender dominance!

I'm also thinking about staying in Anchorage for the next year while I apply to medical school. While I still might leave, I think Anchorage is great and I could easily spend another year up here. My alternative that's the most probable is returning to Grand Bay, which would be bad all around, I think. I miss my family, but living back at home...ehhh...I don't think so. And Alabama. Enough said. I've realized how conservative and backwards it is. With my work and lifestyle this year, I don't think that would be a good move forward for me. I've already secured housing and a car and have ideas about a job to an extent..so, yeah. All of those people that aren't coming up during my JV year...

Andy Ward is coming January 26th for a week or so, and Clare, Keiko, and maybe April are all coming up! Good times! Alaska is still beautiful even though it's cold, dark, and many of us have been in the winter slump! That's why I need some company!

Well...that's my update. I'm going to try to write a bit more. And I'm not feeling as creative as I once was so maybe I'll try to interject with some right-sided entries.

Happy 2006--the best is still yet to come. I can feel it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
Sounds like all is well and you're having a great time. Hope all works out well for ya.

Caitlin said...

1. I think you mean his sophomore album, not his sophomoric album--look up sophomoric, why don't you?

2. Are you serious that you don't see the value of stopping smoking? I hope that was a joke, or I'm going to have to think that the cold is freezing your brain cells.

Anonymous said...

I love getting into your mind...it is a crazy place...I have stories...

miss you,
Clare