8.09.2005

Okay. So, Anchorage is amazing. The summers here are probably better than anywhere in the entire world. We are flanked by mountain ranges and great bodies of water. The city has a small feel to it, which is nice, and not overwhelming! This is my second full day in Anchorage. Orientation in Oregon was great! From one great place to another. I went hiking yesterday on Flattop Mountain. It was a short hike--two hours. But so great! Saw a moose! Our JV house is moose-obsessed. Apparently they come to the house and eat our apples. I can't wait, although I've been told to stay the hell away from them. Fabulous.

Our house! I want everyone to see it. It's awesome. It's two stories with a full-sized basement. A huge mother! We have darts, foosball, a pool table, bikes, snow shoes, cross country skis...everything has accrued over the years! It's great. It's very retro--all 70s! We have shag carpeting on the floors and walls, and shaded glass octagon table for the dining room with red vinyl chairs. A huge pink marlin fish above the mantle, a record player. It's definitely a fun place...great for parties, which we have three coming up with support people. Everyone is so welcoming. Lots of FJVs (former JVs), and Jesuits, and nice people in the community that know of JVC. Easy to just sort of slip into being part of the community. Our house is so messy and has so much crap so we're trying to clean it up! My bedroom is HUGE. I won the card game. It's got two beds, two dressers, a couch, a chair, and a guitar. Sweet ass!

Oh, and I don't think there's a July 31st...gramps passed on the 1st. Sorry. I've completely lost track of time. But I appreciate the cards and nice e-mails from everyone. You guys are amazing. The funeral was Saturday and went well...I wish I was there, but know that this is where God wants me. It's nice to know I have such a great network of love, though. Thanks, guys.

It's so easy to slip into this ease of having great energy and being nice to everyone because people are to you, and the weather is just great. The sun doesn't go down until midnight. We ate sat on our deck until like 10:30 eating caribou sausages. It was amazing. I still can't believe I'm lucky enough to enjoy this kind of an experience. God and His blessings...too much, sometimes.

We're touring everyone's agencies this week and orienting ourselves to the city this week and start next Monday. I think we might venture into nightlife soon. Alaska is known for microbrews and coffeehouses. We went to one coffeehouse that this guy that loves the JVs--and have an account there--draws great portraits and pictures on a dry erase board everyday then photocopies them and keeps them in a binder. They're amazing. I don't know how he does it.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be able to check e-mail the rest of the week and I wish I could talk more, but the time difference is just so crazy...three hours...but call the house! ANYTIME! All of you!

907.349.1715--I haven't gotten a call yet! So, I'll be so excited if you call!

Love you, all! Thanks for the support and prayers and I would love visitors--let me know what you're up to via e-mail or snail mail! I have already gotten three letters, but would love more!

xxx.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Dear Dan,
First...there is a July 31st, so you were correct the first time.
Wow, it sounds like you just love it up there...that is so great, I'm smiling thinking about you and the cold, and the fun, and the people, and the moose, and the shag carpet...all good thngs. I wish I were there to enjoy them with you.
I'm in LA...oh my. Our house is not half as neat as yours...soooooo dirty. I mean dust, spiders, cobwebs, and years and years of junk left behind.
Dan, I'm getting sooooo nervous about teaching...ahhh.
I met my principal and a few teachers and they are all just great.
Downey (my city) is nice. Lots and lots of people. Spanish tv, radio, billboards...cool stuff. I'm about to send out an email with more info.
I just wanted to write and tell you hi. I'm soooo excited that life is treating you so well. Please know that I miss you tons and think of you more than you will ever know.
Stay in touch dear Dan!!
Love,
Clare

Caitlin said...

Like Clare said, there are 31 days in July. Anyway, you have two beds all to yourself??? Maybe I really will have to come visit! Anyway, it sounds awesome and I am so glad for you. Hugs!

Brian said...

hey dan,
sorry about your grandfather. your fam is in my prayers. i'm glad to see everything is going good up there. my mom visited alaska a few years ago--we have friends that live in kodiak. my mom said the same thing you are saying now about how great of a place it is. keep the blog updated and good luck with everything. -brian

p.s. thanks for backing me on my harry potter argument. maggie and caitlin still won't acknowledge my presence.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan glad to here you have made a smooth transaction from the hot humid climate of Mobile to the really cold climate of Alaska. Has all that sunlight up there affected your sleeping patterns yet? If it hasn't hope that it stays that way because i hear that it gets miserable up there if it does. Your discription of Alaska sounds beautiful and I wish I could see it for myself. Well take care up there Dan and have fun with the moose.