9.12.2004

current playlist: none (i need to start listening to some music)

So I definitely didn't do any reading that I had planned on doing for tomorrow. Eh, whatcha gonna do?

So what's with this Xanga thing? Apparently, I missed that boat. I don't know if it was all big before I started my blog thing, but I can't tell you how many people are like, "Why aren't you doing Xanga?!? It's better." Well, don't worry blogger.com, I'm remaining faithful.

What exactly is Xanga? I'm always cautious of things that start with X yet have that "Z" sound. I mean, right off the bat it's misleading. Is that the kind of message do the Xanga-ers want to send? I mean, think about it: Xerox. I don't know statistically how many people misspell (did I just mis/spell mis/spell?) Xerox, but I bet it's a good number. Everyone knows what Xerox is, so just imagine the number of mis/spellers of Xanga? A moot point, yes, I know.

It's for Asians right? I think that's the dillyo. Did I just type, "dillyo?" Oh, good gravy, shoot me. I do fit that category. And there seems to be not a lot of things specifically marketed and produced for the Asian nation. Is blog ethnically targeted for say, the people of Zaire...yeah, I don't know--that was kind of random. Anyway, it intrigues me nonetheless that someone thought Asians should have their own online journal...thing.

And what's with the, "You must be a member to comment." C'mon. Cough cough--so maybe blogger does that as well. Next!

All in all this all can be discussed from an Economics perspective. (By the way, I'm taking Macroeconomics this semester. It's definitely my surprise favorite course of the semester.) It all goes to the substitution good thing. In our market system, that is, our capitalistic society, we are offered goods. For example, Pepsi vs. Coke (Coke is bettah.) Now instead of the sole "blogger" market, we are offered the substitution of the "equivalent" Xanga. Now, mind you, both of these products are free so it's less of an economics issue (and really not an issue at all), but just because you aren't spending more "money," per se, at what cost are you paying when you side with one?

I have found that the cost of my devotion to blogger has caused accusations of siding with the lesser of the online log journals. I attest that it just isn't so. Recent modifications and more superficial incentives (more backgrounds, muhaha) have really increased the consumer-friendly status of blogger.com.

In conclusion, I have realized I could serve as a great "real-life person" to promote the growing popularity of blogger. However, in that process, I may have alienated and lost many of my friends. To them I say, "I heard about blogger before Xanga. I'm too lazy to switch. But who really gives a crap anyway?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why in the world do you think that Xanga is only for Asians? Or did I misunderstand what you were saying? Anyways, in defense of Xanga, I'd have to say that it offeres more ways to connect to other posts that people add. My favorite part about it is simply the fact that you can comment on it. And not until you added this new feature have I ever been able to comment on a single blog that I have come across. Also, you can subscribe to posts and they are e-mailed to you whenever they are updated. In xanga you can add songs and pics to your posts. You can post "private" post for only certain people to see and you can control whom you allowed to comment on your site. Also, there are rings you can join. I've been a member since back in the day (April I think.) and many a Spring Hill student has joined since (it helps that a lot of them are good friends of mine.) Anyways, I've never heard of a Spring Hill blog-ring, but I know there is one at xanga. We are 39 strong and that's just the people that we know about. Well, I must leave you now in hopes that Ivan stays away from ya'll! p.s.- Pepsi is better then Coke (but that was way back in the day for me.)

.daniel. said...

So Anonymous, aka non-soda drinker: you think you're sly? I'm on to you. But yes, apparently, Xanga was originally made for Asians, but maybe that is a rumor. I dunno.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used to be a LiveJournaler...Xanga sucked me in. I still love LJ though cuz you don't have to be registered to comment like Xanga...Blogger's cool like that too.

JDP
A fan of all Pepsi products, baby!