background noise>>bridges of madison county on tnt
The question is, "Why am I not in bed?" It's approaching 3 in the AM. I was up late Friday for the DG Spring Fling and got up at 7 to sell Circle K shirts. Just got back from Up 'Til Dawn. However, I felt compelled to exponge some of my thoughts. Tonight was amazing on many levels for me. On a lighter, fun note, I really had a great time "playing." There are instant and long-lasting memories: I did Yoga! (hilarious); partook in some amusing relay races; ate great food, ate great food (did I already say that); screamed, yelled, danced (?) like a moron.... The greatest part was, though, that I really never forgot why we did it. Children are invaluable. Everything about them is so heavenly. They engross all of the innocence, purity, and love we wish we still had. Hearing three parents talk about their children (who were present as well) does "pull at your heart strings," as our executive director, my friend, Greg says. You can hardly help the tears that well up in your eyes as you realize that these wonderful gifts from God have had to battle what can only be described as hell. Chemo, radiation, months and months of pain and anguish...we can merely pray for their betterment and the continuation of great facilities like St. Jude.
I am lucky. Thank you, God. You have blessed me with good health. Although, I did have osteochondroma sophomore year of high school. Did you know that? Probably not. I had a golf ball-sized bone tumor on my left patellar region. Thankfully, it was benign and was removed with no problems. The patients we heard about tonight weren't as lucky. Imagine: you are three years old and have retinoblastoma in both eyes. Each of them, ultimately, is removed, leaving you blind and without certainty that you will be cured. It just tears me apart. I can sympathesize but will never know all of the hardships and shipwrecks (!) that come with such a terrible affliction. Fortunately, all of the patients we listened to were in remission, but only after many prayers, treatments, and the work of excellent doctors and benefactors who performed and supported their treatments. My hope is that I can continue to be mindful each and every day of my blessings and that I remember all of those who go through so much more than I will hopefully ever have to face. Take a moment and think about your worst experience. I feel like mine is infinitesimally insignificant when I compare my "worst" time(s) to those of the undeserving, yet extremely loving and vivacious, children who battle cancer. All we can do is pray.
3.28.2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment