4.08.2005

Current Playlist: M. Branch's, "One of These Days"

One month until graduation! I'm sure many can relate to being torn as to being happy to graduate and hating to leave the security of college. When I think to the future, it sort of makes me a little crazy. I'm super stoked about serving in Anchorage for a year, but it freaks me out to think that we're all about to go it alone soon; well, the seniors at least. Then I think, at least I know what the hell I'm doing. I was looking up jobs with Caitlin yesterday. We have this little pact where if I get her a job, I get a 1% of her annual salary in the form of Christmas present. Seeing as to how I'll have 80 dollars a month for personal gratification, which is NOTHING, and yet, surprisingly more than most citizens in the world have, I am concentrating some of my efforts on getting her a job--for her personal satisfaction too, of course. But, it's damn hard. I don't think I could do the real world, yet!

I feel like so much is coming to a head. Last Sunday was so amazing--becoming Catholic ;) and all. I loved the sense of the Holy Spirit in Mass, and the feeling of community and brethren all around me was just overhwhelming. I seriously could have cried. In a way, that was good enough for me as closure to Spring Hill. Yeah, it'll be nice to booze it up a last few times with everyone, but I realized I have gotten all I need to out of Spring Hill. It's done so much for me spiritually, but also made me really see and recognize some relationships that hopefully will carry on, but realistically have served their purpose. Nonetheless, it made me feel so blessed to really feel like I was supported and loved by, like, almost everyone in St. Joe's. So, thanks to everyone that made that day incredibly special and completely memorable.

The downer: I think it's all right if friendships naturally wither and die. Some flowers grow, bloom, and die; some come back every year; and, some seemingly never die, even if you really don't care for them--just kidding. I know that's a weird analogy between friends and flowers, but I'm okay with not keeping in touch with people, my friends. It's naive to think I'll still have the same relationships with everyone. I thought after high school, I would still be close with my high school friends--that's definitely not the case. I don't think that's bad, necessarily, just reality. We're going to meet new people that inspire and fulfill the needs of our lives, and that's exciting. Whether we're in Alaska, the Marshall Islands, Los Angeles, Mobile, Washington, Chicago, Wisconsin, or wherever, we'll meet people that touch us in some way that no one here will be able to know or relate to just like people and our friends from the past don't know everyone so close to me now affects and influences me.

Bottom line: I love the time I have here and will cherish the remaining time I have here. Make the effort to really tell those that you love that you love them.

I love YOU!

xxx

No comments: